Sugar Cookies, Take Two

So, I tried again.


This time, I was making Ashlee's famous cookie recipe for Thanksgiving (Happy Thanksgiving!!) and Hanukkah (Happy Hanukkah!!) with Dan's family in New York. It turns out he has a cousin who just got engaged as well (yay Ashley and Mark!!) so this batch of cookies consisted of an oh-so-charming mix of turkeys, leaves, acorns, champagne glasses, stars of David, and diamond rings. The cashier ringing up my cookie cutters at Sur La Table truly thought I'd lost it.

 Whipping up the dough


 Sifted powdered sugar for frosting. 

Meringue powder, water, cream of tartar, and Karo syrup.


Whipping.

 Almost ready.

I've tried a couple different royal icing recipes. I like this one a lot from Beki Cook's Cake Blog, but this time, I tried this one from Sweet Society. I changed it a little by adding the light Karo syrup because I like the sheen it gives dry royal icing. This clearly changed the consistency of the icing, so there was a bit of winging it when it came to adding extra powdered sugar. I still haven't quite settled on the perfect recipe. 

 All cut and cooled and ready for decorating. 

 Frosting colors ready to go. Stiff outlining icing went into pastry bags. 

 Flooding icing went into squeeze bottles. I haven't done that before, but I think I liked it!

 Little acorns.

 There was a Cowboys game on TV. Dan requires that I wear his old jersey from elementary school. 




Cookies packaged up for Dan's aunt. 


All packaged up for Dan's cousin. 

I hope you all have a fabulous Thanksgiving and Hanukkah.

Cheers.

t



0 comments:

Post a Comment